Saturday 1 July 2017

Canvas board with crazy birds by Tim Holtz

When I was a little girl I just loved this song: Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep... by the Middle of the Road. I think I loved the simplicity of the text and I loved it because it was a very happy song. Well this song inspired me to make these canvas boards with Tim's crazy birds for our new challenge at the Country View Challenges: THINGS WITH WINGS.




As you see these boards are complementary and make sense just together. For making them I just stamped the birds who look in the same direction onto the same canvas. 

Now let me show you the process... 


Although my canvas was primed I applied a layer of gesso to the surface. After drying I outlined the branch cutout with a pencil.





I coloured the branch with DecoArt Americana paint, then contoured it with Posca Pen.






The contouring was very important part of my project. I wanted strong contours and bold, cheery colours because I wanted my canvas to look like an illustration of a children's book. 





I stamped the images directly onto the canvas with Ranger Archival ink (Jet Black).






I coloured the birds with DecoArt Americana paints.If the outlines faded because of the acrylic paint I drew the line again with Posca Pen.









For the leaves I used an old Sizzix Framelits dies and stamp set by Stephanie Barnard (657917): Leaves.














I hope you like them! And if you have a project with some wings, please don't hesitate to join our July challenge at the Country View Challenges where you can win£20 voucher!




9 comments:

  1. Wow Monica these canvases both look gorgeous, love how you used the birds. Stunning inspirational piece! Hugs Debsxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! First your pages make me smile, especially facing each other like that! Second, the birds' colouring is perfect and, as you wished, the feeling is of a strong illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such fun Monika and beautifully done. I can't forgive you for putting that song in my head though lol. Have a lovely weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these!! What a great idea and use of crazy birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute ! Love them.
    Corrie x (great song too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. such brilliant designs Monika - really fabulous!!! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow from me too Monika. Love your birds creation. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just fabulous Monika. So beautifully coloured and designed xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!